A Travellerspoint blog

Milford Sounds, New Zealand

rain 20 °C

In the morning we drove to Te Anau. We had some pies for breakfast, they were good, but I would prefer to have them for dinner and then probably not eat anything for a week. :)

We stocked up our fridge in the shop and checked the weather information. There was snow on the road and we required to get snow chains. Unwillingly we rented them from a garage and I am so happy we did!

On the way up the road was very steep, but it was nothing in comparison to what was to come. We reached this one way tunnel with no lights. I was cluching my seat, but thank god no cars were coming as it was quite early.

We then went down the hill on the winding road with 180 degree turns, that's where we thought that snow chains were an excellent idea.

The mountains were covered in snow, it was raining outside and the waterfalls were cascading down everywhere. We stopped to see potholes and got to know Kea parrots trying to catch a ride on our van.

Once we reached Milford Sound, we booked ur tour. We could see some sunny spells, even thought it was still freezing and raining, which just added to the misterious feeling that the whole place had. We took so many pictures and the views were unbelievable. Apparently, you can do a 4 day walk to Milford Sound, so that's what I am planning once I return next time :)








We found a DOC campsite for the night. It had a lot of aloocated fire spots and lots of wood around. So as soon as we stopped, we tried to make a fire. It looked like all other people from other campervans had the same idea. You could see smoke everywhere. So we tried, tried and tried againt to get something going but the wood was to wet, we gave up and you could see all the fires die out. We got saved by wine and Robert's creative cooking again.

The next day, we drove all the way back to Te Anau and returned our snow chains. We then visited Arrowtown, which was supposed to be this little pretty town. We weren't too impressed and after 30 minutes headed towards Queenstown.

It was quite a long drive, so we decided to stay on another side of Lake Dunstan. The weather was a little bit nicer and the sun was out. I started feeling normal again. The spot that we found had an awesome fireplace and soon we had a fire going. So we recovered from the previous disaster quite well :)

Posted by Laima 13:42 Archived in New Zealand

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint